Modern world has gifted us with enormous innovative tools and techniques that have made life easier to live. But an explicit insight on the pros and cons of this massive technological development instinctively fills our mind with a wide range of chaos! The more the world progresses technically, the more the human life steps ahead in stress, ailments and an innate mechanical progress. Thus life becomes so insensible that one is always deemed with worries and stress. What could be the apt antidote to this malady? Ayurveda stands distinct as the most holistic remedy to end this mechanical life and mark the start of a natural way of living filled with eternal bliss! This is the reason why Ayurveda is widely recognized in the west in recent times.
Ayurveda serves as the root for Traditional European Medicine (TEM), Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and Unani – a natural system of healing of the Middle Eastern world. This is the strong reason why Ayurveda is rightly called as the ‘Mother of Natural Healing’. With its genesis in ancient India, the essence of Ayurveda spread to the west with the advent of many foreigners who translated the Ayurvedic encyclopedias namely Charaka Samhita and Sushruta Samhita to Arabic, Latin, German and English.
It is a well known fact that the first major plastic surgery in the western world was performed in 1815 by Carpue who spent 20 years in India to study the Ayurvedic surgery methods. Amazing right!!! This is just a single piece of information that is known to the world and there are much more Ayurvedic secrets to be revealed and relived.
Importance of Ayurveda in the West: Western Culture is more secured with massive man-made technologies that are strong enough to weaken the resources of nature of which human resource forms a major part. Decrease in physical efforts makes life more involuntary thus increasing the mental stress. Apart from this, the modern medical system deals only with the ailments rather than their root causes, resulting in a temporary relief with more side effects that make the ailments permanent and vulnerable. Thus, people are drawn towards the most dependable holistic approach that has a unique gift of a meaningful, mentally strong life with eternal peace for every individual.
To add more life to the fact that Ayurveda has found its place in the west, down comes the sturdy list of causes that has made the western world to feel the importance of Ayurveda.
- Exceptional Holistic Approach For Every Individual: Though the same ailment may affect different individuals, the process of treating them differs with each individual according to Ayurveda, which considers each human is unique with his/her own unique physical, mental, emotional and environmental characteristics. Thus Ayurveda helps in guiding every individual to recognize their individuality in terms of their body types and connection with nature to manage life more efficiently. This holistic approach is missing in the modern medical system, resulting in the wide acceptance of Ayurveda as a Complementary and Alternative medicine (CAM) in the Western world, especially in the United States.
- Aiming at Mind-body-Soul balance: Western Allopathic medicine that cures diseases with drugs and surgery prove effective primarily but often weaken the entity due to the toxicity of the drugs. It is more corrective in nature, whereas Ayurveda is preventive naturally and aims at bringing a balance between the mind, body and soul by dealing with the energy levels that each individual possesses rather than dealing with the diseases. Attentive analysis of each individual before commencing with the treatment lays a strong foundation for the Ayurvedic practitioners to deal with the root causes of the ailments and eradicate them completely.
- Natural Healing with no side effects: Taking a pill for a sickness just by analyzing the effects rather than the causes, though endorsed by the modern medical system often comes along with side effects. Thus one leads to another and eventually captures the human peace of mind. Explicitly equipped with natural potions like natural herbs, extracts from plants, Ayurvedic essential oils and innate peace giving simple yet supreme practices like Yoga, Meditation and strict adherence to a Unique Ayurvedic lifestyle, Ayurveda cures humanity with no side effects. This serves to be the main reason for Ayurveda’s global possession to grow stronger day by day.
- Effective Stress Handler: Stress has the capacity to turn the strongest into subtle. In the current situation, stress stands tall as the greatest challenge to every single individual right from a school going boy/girl to a serene loving old man/woman. Ayurveda acts as a complete holistic therapy that includes effective ways to handle stress. It suggests the practice of Meditation to pacify the mind resulting in numerous positive outcomes few of which include significant decline of stress, anxiety, insomnia, depression etc.
- Self-Realization for a Divine Living: Ayurvedic healing methodology includes a wide range of techniques of which Yoga, Meditation and Rejuvenation of the body and mind with effective Ayurvedic oils have gained wide attention in the West. These forms of practice leads to self-realization thus making one to realize the true purpose of living, paving way to eternal satisfaction and ecstasy of leading a meaningful life. Ayurveda serves its sole purpose of making one to realize self and live in harmony with self and nature thus giving comprehensiveness to human existence.
- Good for All: Unlike modern medical system, Ayurveda is good for all individuals irrespective of their status of health. With its elegant regime, Ayurveda dignifies the diseased and strengthens the stronger ones leading to health and longevity.
Apart from this, Ayurveda remains as the most natural, less expensive medical system with homemade remedies of defensive nature. Effective utilization of Ayurvedic natural herbs, spices, vegetables and natural Ayurvedic Essential oils in your day to day living will support longevity and help you in the long run.
Ayurveda can be made more efficacious if its real essence is absorbed and utilized effectively. Studies have proved that Ayurveda is effective in the treatment of acute chronic diseases like diabetes and the integration of Ayurvedic Healing system with Modern therapy can pave way for finding a solution for some of the life threatening diseases like cancer.
One final yet valid reason that makes the West fascinated towards Ayurveda is its approach towards the patients that is lifted high with a sense of personal touch and care that is often missing in the western medical system.
As a true believer and benefiter of Ayurveda, I take this opportunity to thank all those strenuous efforts of the invaluable immortals who strived a lot in bringing the knowledge of Ayurveda to the west that has served numerous people in the past and will continue to serve in the future as well!!!
Thought for the day:
“Natural forces within us are the true healers of disease.” –Hippocrates
- Ayurveda: A Comprehensive Guide to Traditional Indian Medicine for the West by Frank John, M.D. Ninivaggi
- Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life: Achieving Optimal Health and Wellness through Ayurveda, Chinese Medicine, and Western Science by Claudia Welch
- Ayurvedic Cooking for Westerners: Familiar Western Food Prepared with Ayurvedic Principles by Amadea Morningstar
- Ayurveda by Wikipedia
- Meditation by National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Differences between Ayurveda and Modern Medicine (Allopathy) by LuzySalud