Ayurveda is a spectacular science blended with nature to treat human beings who are an absolute part of nature. There are numerous ways in which Ayurveda treats illnesses and aims at bringing in total harmony between the mind and body. The brilliant healing system of Ayurveda has eight comprehensive branches that cover every single sickness related with mankind. This ancient therapeutic methodology suggests the use of herbs, Ayurvedic essential oils extracted from plants, taking up a balanced diet, regular physical exercises, and yoga for rejuvenation and meditation for strengthening your mental power from within.
Ayurveda is completely safe but any medicine besides being natural should be taken only after a proper consultation with your Ayurvedic practitioner. You must be precautious and aware of certain essential things before purchasing Ayurvedic essential oils. Those vital things are:
- Know what you are actually buying: Essential oils generally mean that they carry the typical essence and aroma from the plants they are extracted. These highly concentrated oils have impulsive aroma compounds with a historical use in Ayurveda for more than 5000 years in the treatment and prevention of innumerable health conditions and had recently given the name ‘Aromatherapy’. Essential oils have therapeutic values and all you need to know initially is the actual reason for purchasing the oil. Which particular illness you are going to treat or what are the ways in which you are going to use it? Everything needs to have an answer before choosing the right oil for your class.
- Keep your confusions at bay: Try to understand the difference between essential oils, fragrance oils, synthetic oils and perfume oils. All are different from each other and except essential oils; all the other three oils have artificial, chemical and synthetic elements added to them to bring in the real effect. Peeping slightly into the chemistry of essential oils will help you know how it affects your robustness and well-being. Synthetic elements can also cause adverse health conditions.
- Look for the container in which it is stored: Essential oils are highly concentrated and have the potential to degrade plastic containers or containers with rubber seals. Do not purchase essential oils in clear, transparent bottles as they can be spoiled by the reflection of light.
- Take time to test your essential oils: You can test the purity of your essential oils by yourselves by placing a drop of oil on a paper. Essential oils evaporate rapidly without leaving any kind of oily marks behind. If you see an oily mark it is a clear sign that your essential oil is not pure and has vegetable oils added to it.
- Purchase it from a reliable company: Essential oils are trusted to be the life-saving oils and any adulteration or low quality oil can have off-putting effects on your body. To avoid this, always purchase your Ayurvedic essential oils from a trustworthy company that care for its customers and does not comprise its integrity at any cost. You can get a reference from your friends or search for best companies approved by FDA, ISO and other quality certifications that often determine and assure you on the quality of essential oils.
- Look for the label information: Look for the information on the label and try identifying the words on it. Flawless and high quality essential oils will most of the times have words like ‘Pure’, ‘Genuine’, ‘Finest quality’ etc, with the botanical name and the country of origin, confirming that you are purchasing the right oil that you wanted to buy.
You don’t need to be an expert in testing the quality of essential oils that you buy but being aware of these quintessential things will certainly save your head from nonconstructive health effects.
Thought for the day:
It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.
- Essential Oils Integrative Medical Guide by D. Gary Young
- Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals by Robert Tisserand, Tony Balacs
- Essential oils by Wikipedia
- How Do I determine the Quality of essential oils? By University of Minnesota
- Essential Oil Chemistry by Bio Spiritual Energy Healing