Ways to enlighten your senses and let your mind develop with your fetus with these sweet-smelling essential oils.
Pregnancy is always special in a number of ways and if it is going to be your first pregnancy then trust me you’ll be greeted with a red carpet wherever you go. You’ll become the angel of your family and for your husband, you’ll be the ‘apple of his eye’. Ayurveda considers a pregnant woman as a divine symphony where ‘The God’s Gift (Baby)’ is growing within her. According to Sushruta Samhita, ‘A pregnant lady should stay happy, be hygienic, wear clean outfits, take part in meditation, prayers, put on accessories (like bangles, anklets etc, the melodious sound of which is trusted to enrich the baby’s harmonious growth) and simple exercises. The loving science of Ayurveda suggests plenty of natural herbs, nutritious food items, fresh fruits, green leafy vegetables and the use of Ayurvedic essential oils to make your pregnancy unforgettable, leading to a safe and easy childbirth along with a happy post-pregnancy period with your little one.
Ayurvedic essential oils for pregnant women: Ayurveda has a magic in it to treat the extremely sensitive pregnant woman with healing and harmonizing essential oils. It is for more than ever to make her comfortable with the changes in her body while tackling mental stress, depression, mood fluctuations and the fear about her labor. Such healing essential oils that can make your pregnancy phase a real ‘Sweet Dream’ forever are mentioned below according to your trimester:
- First trimester: This is the initial period for the development of your fetus where it starts developing head, limbs, heartbeat, reproductive organs, ears and other sensory faculties. This is the most challenging period of pregnancy for most women as they struggle with morning sickness, nausea, headache, acidity, heartburn and more. The safe essential oils during your first trimester are citrus oils like Tangerine essential oil, Orange essential oil and Neroli essential oil. You can also use Grapefruit essential oil and Lavender essential oil to lift your senses and reduce the difficulties during the first three months of pregnancy.
- Second trimester: The baby at this stage starts building up muscles, blood, all the five senses, skin, hair, fingers, veins, nails, teeth, bones, eyelids, mind and he/she becomes even stronger at this stage. At this juncture you may face challenges like constipation, itchy skin, stretch marks, anxiety, nervousness, nightmares and few more. Essential oils that can help you overcome these impediments during your second trimester are Sandalwood essential oil, Lavender essential oil, Frankincense essential oil, Palo Santo essential oil and Grapefruit essential oil. Gently massage your abdomen using Lavender oil with jojoba oil or sweet almond oil to get rid of stretch marks and stay gifted with mark-free skin even after pregnancy.
- Third trimester: You will be extremely eager to meet your baby and now that you’ve started to feel the movements of your baby. You may even see the impressions of your baby’s hands or feet on your abdomen externally. By the end of the third trimester your baby attains its full growth and becomes even stronger. It is at this phase you’ll start experiencing insomnia, difficulties in sleeping, fatigue, swollen ankles, lower back ache and other complexities in your day to day living.
The best essential oils at this stage are Frankincense essential oil, Ylang Ylang essential oil, Mandarin essential oil, Lavender essential oil, Lemon essential oil and Bergamot essential oil. Smooth massage with these essential oils either as a blend or taken individually with carrier oils, as a diffuser or in a warm bath tub can enrich your senses, relieve your stress and fatigue while soothing your painful muscles.
Pregnancy takes you to a wonderful world filled with fun, fantasy, fear, fragility and ultimate fascination. This time better you take pregnancy to a soothing, serene, calming, energizing, rejuvenating and reviving world with these Ayurvedic essential oils.
It is always good to avoid certain essential oils that are emmenagogue, skin sensitizing, irritant and toxic in nature during your pregnancy. Few such oils are Aniseed, Angelica, Clary Sage, Chamomile, Cinnamon, Cedarwood, Basil, Elecampane, Jasmine, Ginger, Fennel, Thyme, Marjoram, Lemon Grass, Peppermint, Sage, Pennyroyal, Juniper, Melissa, Wintergreen, Sassafras, Wormwood, Thuja and certain other essential oils due to their tendency to harm either the mother or the fetus.
Note: Be precautious while using essential oils as they can directly affect the nervous system. Never use it directly as it is highly concentrated and dilute it in safe carrier oils. Use a minimal amount or 2 to 3 drops and strictly avoid ingesting any of the essential oils during any stage of your pregnancy.
Thought for the day:
A mother’s joy begins when new life is stirring inside… when a tiny heartbeat is heard for the very first time, and a playful kick reminds her that she is never alone. – Unknown
- Sushruta Samhita by Wikipedia
- Divine Delivery by Ayurveda Elements
- The Second Trimester: Your Baby’s Growth and Development in Middle Pregnancy by WebMD